Friday, October 11, 2013

Fashion | Eyebrows: Fill 'em in, Fake it, or Shake what your Mama gave ya?


I grew up blind to make-up, fashion, and my appearance in general. I remember the first time my mother plucked my eyebrows when I was in high school. She came into my room, sat on my bed with tweezers and a cold, wet wash cloth in hand. I hesitantly laid my head in her lap as she proceeded to pluck one tiny, misplaced hair out - I then shrieked in agony, and she waited while I held the damp cloth on my brow bone for as long as it took for the horrific pain to subside. Then she'd pluck another hair. My sweet mother was painfully teaching me the value of well maintained body hair - a well coiffed brow. a manicured face. a closely mowed eye lawn.


Eventually, I became better at this process and started to do my own plucking. It probably had something to do with the fact that my beautiful big sister complimented my brows one day, saying they had the “best arch" and she "wished hers were more like MINE."


That was it. My obsession with eyebrows had begun.

The love affair continued through college. Until one day, I was getting a pedicure with a friend. The nail tech began talking to us about eyebrows; he wanted to wax them. My friend said she didn't really want to get hers waxed, and I confidently boasted that I "did" my own.

To which the man frankly replied, "Oh...that's what happened…."

Years of self-assurance in my eyebrows' natural aesthetics--as well as my own ability to groom them--was gone with one offhanded but honest comment.

Thanks to some positive thinking and self-actualization, I recovered from that - and now, years later, I am much less concerned with my brows. But I have moved to Nashville, and this town has something serious going on with its eyebrows. It seems to be the en vogue thing to pluck them (I assume) and then draw them back on in a much darker, richer color, in a more dramatic (less realistic) shape. I have found this odd yet strangely appealing. I was not privy to the fact that people even "filled in" their eyebrows until about a year ago. Since then, I have dabbled with a little filling in - making them darker and fuller around that "killer arch" of mine. A few times I have gone too far and made them very black (which doesn’t match my "brown with auburn hues" hair) and then gone somewhere in public knowing I don't look quite right and being assured of it by the puzzled stares I receive.

Nonetheless, seeing all of these brave Nashville women who have dared to remove facial hair that plays a surprisingly large part in what they look like, I have become very interested in people's experiences with their brows. It's so much more vast than a careful plucking or a good waxing these days - some of you people are creating art in place of your brows!

What’s going on with eyebrows? What are you doing (or not doing) with yours? What’s happening in your town? Whatever happened to Grace Jones - and do you think she started this eyebrow craziness?







5 comments:

  1. I have been obsessed with my brows since the 6th grade when good ole Jaki Karli ( I will never forget him) told me my brows made me look like a gorilla and I went home that evening and shaved them completely off! My pretty thick brows have never been the same. Soon after that, the infected hairs turned into boils which I had to have lacerated, scars and then the bangs that have been sitting on my forehead since the age of 13. I did all I could to make sure those bangs didnt blow in the wind or move out of place so my naked brow bone was never exposed. I finally have a normal looking brow ( although it feels like a mans whiskers if you touch it) after finding a stencil for the perfect brow. Took a while but they are finally nicely shaped. So now you see why I will never forget good ole Jack. Brows make the eye. I am envious of perfectly arched brows and have warned my girls to never ever put a razor to them!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Sophia! I had no idea.
    It's so interesting how one person's comment can make that big of an impact.
    So it's a stencil to draw the whole brow on with a pencil? I've not heard of that either.
    Seems like a great idea instead of winging it.
    Glad you're finally at peace with your brows :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know! what a fool I was. It really did make a huge impact. Every hairstyle HAD to have bangs. I am not a fan of drawing on the brows. This is a stencil I bought at Sallys beauty supply that you put over your brow to ensure your brow is shaped correctly. I love it. Peace with the brows even though I have to tweeze every day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too share this passion for the brows. Growing up I would go get them waxed almost every month because I had aggressive hair that would grow super fast! Then I realized the place that waxed them liked to wax off my arch. Thankfully my mom came to the rescue and got a stencil (^^like Sophia did!!) with which she framed my face with beautiful eyebrows. Ever since then (9th grade) I have kept them up on my own. I have had a few scares--one time I waxed the whole top of my eyebrow off before snowball sophomore year! (And that hair has never grown back the same either!) So now I just pluck. But I am also fascinated by other people's eyebrows (you have beautiful ones.. I would look at them during class!) Eyebrows, done right or wrong, literally change what someone looks like. Thanks for posting :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I remember you writing in your very first piece of the year that you're obsessed with eyebrows and that you liked mine :) So sweet.

      What are people doing with them in NYC? Surely people are drawing them on like they are here in Nashville, right?

      Delete